Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm a bad mommy...

to my chihuahua!! Yesterday Mijo, our 3 year old, 4 pound chihuahua, had his teeth cleaned and they had to pull 7 !!SEVEN!! teeth! My poor Mijo-man. I feel like such a terrible fur-momma, especially since I'm a dental hygienist! In my defense, I have tried to brush his teeth and have even been known to drug him up to try to clean them with my instruments ...all of which apparently did NO good! The vet said that little dogs like him are really prone to periodontal disease and was super nice about showing me his xrays and stuff. And the kicker...we were prepared to pay the $150 for the cleaning/general anesthesia, but with all the extractions, pain meds, antibiotics and xrays...the total was $520!! So basically there went our tax return which thankfully we just stuck in savings (although it was planned to be used to paint our fence this summer and do concrete curbing around our flower beds!!) The poor guy is on a soft food diet, pain medication and antibiotics for week! The little man doesn't even want to play with Hayden, which is hard for her. She wants to do her usual poke & grab game but it hurts him too much to play bite her hands (he "bites" softly and she giggles, repeat).
I feel so terrible...


No comments: